|Porth Higher Grade School|
|Porth Secondary School|
|Porth Secondary Grammar School|
|Porth County Grammar Mixed School|
|Porth Grammar Technical School|
School Staff 1954
Rededication of the Memorial plaques
Houses (of the live-in
Some of the School's History
The building missed out on its centenary by a year and a few months, opening in September 1904 as Porth Higher Elementary School, the 'first school of importance which would be opened since the Council had replaced the School Board.' It catered for 240 mixed pupils under the Headmastership of John Stradling Grant.
The Public opening of the school did not
take place until January 19 1905. After a tour of the classrooms in the
'magnificent building', the ceremony was performed by Mr W. E. Thomas, the
chairman of the Rhondda Education Committee in the absence, due to ill-health,
of Mr W. G. Howell, the Director of Education.
At the time, there was great deal of
controversy on the subject of providing further education in the Rhondda. Tom
John, Editor of the Rhondda Leader and the first Welshman to become President of
the National Union of Teachers, commented that 'there was a laborious effort
made by several speakers at the meeting [ie., the opening ceremony] to dissipate
the fear that this splendid institution would work serious opposition and injury
to the County school nearby.'
In 1914, John Stradling Grant died and Richard Chalke took over as Head at the same time that the school was merged with the Pupil Teachers College, where, for one day a week, the students took turns to teach their peers, as a step towards gaining entrance to teacher training colleges to become teachers themselves
In January 1922, it became officially recognised as a Secondary School.
1946/7 its name changed to Porth Secondary Grammar School.
Sometime between 1951 and 1954, as detailed on the Home page, it became Porth County Grammar Mixed.
And so to the end.
Rhondda-Cynon-Taff education department had been running down the operation there for several months. They finally moved out on Friday April 11th 2003, and the demolition contractors moved in on the 14th.
RCT seemed to be in full demolition mode
at the time. Porth Cottage Hospital and the Graig Ddu flats in Dinas were also
being put under the wrecking ball.
If it's any consolation, the slates and interior brickwork were salvaged and 'live on' in properties subsequently built, while the floor timbers and joists were resurrected as reproduction antique furniture. The Blue Pennant stone in the facade of the school was sold to a company in Bristol which incorporated it into new buildings, while the gymnasium and hall near the Chevron Street gates was dismantled and transported to Algeria where the plan was that it would be reassembled. (Whether this was actually accomplished, I have not been able to ascertain.)
Copyright Deryck Lewis 2003/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15.
Home ... School Staff 1954 ... Demolition Photographs ... Rededication of the Memorial plaques ... Reunion Dinners ... Houses (of the live-in variety) ... Panoramas ... Rugby stars
Page Updated October 18 2015